Saturday, July 9, 2011

I have to get this off my chest

I just recieved an email from one of my teachers that I've gotten a whole point deduction on my written report. My answers resembled another girl's answers too much so he punished the both of us with deducting a point. The thing that really really sucks is that I tried to help out that girl by sending her some information I'd putten in my report. I thought she might want the extra help, because she was struggling with the assignment. Turns out she just copied my answers and now I'm being accused of plagiarism!!
I'm so angry and disappointed and I don't know what to do. I've emailed my teacher that it sucks being accused of this and I would never do that sort of thing. I've gotten straight eights for this class the whole year and now I have a 6.6. It's still enough to pass the class, but it still sucks big time. I've also emailed my classmate that this is not what I'd expected her to do with my help and that I'm hurt she did it. She never even thanked me for sending the information...
The better way to go is probably to let it rest here, but part of me just wants to tell the whole thing to the teacher since I have proof she got the words from me and not the other way around. I know how childish that is, but it feels so unfair to be punished for helping someone :(

Sorry for ranting, but this really bothers me...

6 comments:

  1. Perfectly natural to be upset, Lirael. These things can be sooooo disturbing and distracting!

    My opinion, after being alive decades longer and seeing these situations over and over, would be to take the hard lesson with a smile as a gift.

    You were only trying to help a fellow student who was struggling, which is pure and lovely. However, as you luckily found out early, not everyone is as pure as you. Many many people will take advantage of you in life whenever possible and they can do so without the least bit of guilt or regret. Amazing but true.

    You got a HUGE lesson, early on in you schooling, and without it costing you something really difficult. You got an valuable lesson for an relatively inexpensive price. yay!

    Lesson: Don't be so quick to "help" people who approach you with hard luck stories. And certainly don't give away your work to anyone as each person needs to find their own strength in school.

    Your teacher did the right thing because even though you were the innocent party (which will show up in the rest of your good work by the way) she was correct to give you the lesson in being more careful as well.

    All just my opinion. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont blame you for being mad and I would definitely let the teacher know! good luck! I guess I wouldnt be helping that girl out anymore.
    xo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there is anything wrong with showing the teacher the emails and asking the teacher to re-assess your grade! I did that a number of times in high school after finding that the teachers had made a mistake in their grading systems. I would have gotten Bs when I deserved As, if I hadn't spoken up for myself. Just my two cents. ;-)
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your words! This situation reminded me that even though I like to naively believe all people are good at heart and see help in any form as a huge gift (like I do), it is not true.
    Thanks to Shelley to write how I feel :) I am going to be the better person here and let it pass by. I've gotten spat in the face after helping someone out before and I probably will again. I'm just naive that way, because sometimes helping someone out who doesn't ask for it can change his or her world for the better.
    The girl in question won't be in my class again next year, which makes it easier to take some distance from her. Also, I have a clean list of people in my head who DON'T deserve my help anymore after screwing up and she is ON it! I'm curious to see whether she's going to email me back. I think not, takes too much courage to admit you're a thief.
    Anyway, thank you for reading my rampage and responding, that really makes me feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH-this makes me so sad because I am the same way. I like to believe that everyone has a good heart and will follow the right path too- but as Shelley says- unfortunately it is not always true. I think you are correct in your comment though- the bad apples cannot stop us from trying to help out people-you do never know when a simple act of kindness can make a huge difference in someone's life. I am so sorry this happened to you- I wonder sometimes how people don't have a conscious. Did she think you were completely doing the work for her and it was okay to just take your info and pass it off as hers? I hope your week gets better ♥ Sending you a HUGE hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kim! Your comment made my day :)

    ReplyDelete