Monday, July 11, 2011

I need miniature help

The floors are laid, the walls are painted and so what if I still have to install windows and lighting? I have had a lot of fun shifting around collected furniture in my dollhouse and I'm completing the plan in my head of what I which style I want to go for. It's going to be contemporary, but not to modern. It's going to have a slight under-the-sea theme, but I'll try to avoid the clichés. I want to incorporate some design classics that I love, which brings me to the help I need.

I want a (round or oval) tulip dining table in 1" scale, but I can't find one! I love Saarinen's design and if there was space in my home I would so buy the Ikea Docksta, which is basically a cheaper version. Both links from apartment therapy :)
I wouldn't mind buying, but I would mind spending more than 40 euros (55 dollars). I wouldn't mind building either and I have some cool metal or plexiglass to make a table top. But I have no clue what to use for the base that will make it smooth and shiny. Anyone have any ideas or links?

In case you don't know what kind of table I'm talking about, here's some yummy eyecandy (in life size)

5 comments:

  1. podrías usar la base de una copa de plástico .
    Las venden para brindis de bodas
    ____________________________________
    could use the base of a plastic cup.
    The wedding toast sold for

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I would look to scale existing plastic items from odd sources, like kitchen tool sections, etc. If it were me, I'd strat hunting for a small plastic funnel to get the transitional part from the base to the stem, and then a smaller slice of it for the transition from the stem to the top piece. You can bevel the underside of the top by crafting a caredboard profile shape and running it through a layer of plaster or clay, etc.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are brilliant!
    Plastic champagne glasses, why didn't I think of that! Thank you so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated reply: Kim Selwood makes 1/12th scale Tulip tables and chairs which are around the price you're looking at paying.

    His website (http://www.kimselwood.co.uk/) doesn't have permalinks so you'll need to select Gallery, scroll down and click on "Modernist and contemporary furniture" and it's the third photo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some glasses in the shape of the foot of the table

    some gobelets are in plastic and easy to cut (excuse my bad english)

    ReplyDelete