I have been doubting about wether or not my studies at university (Spanish culture & film science) are right for me. Doubting for quite some time actually. And after I got my grades back (passed 0 of 4 exams) and being caught with the flu (which gives one time to think) I have decided to quit! When I started studying I loved it, but I've changed alot over the past years and it just doesn't interest me that much anymore. I've found out that I am way more creative than I thought at first and I want to do something in my everyday life that feeds my imagination and eats up some of the creative energy that makes my head bulge sometimes.
So with that decision made, along came the next question. Life is just a lingering Q&A don't you think? What DO I want to do instead?
I thought about that too, a LOT. Did all sorts of tests and almost all of them pointed in the direction of a creative job. And thinking about it, it seemed like fun! I closed my eyes, pictured my future self and saw... a studio! Nice white walls and a honeycolored wooden floor, loads and loads of sun shining through old windows and one wall completely blocked from view by inspiring things such as moodboards, fabric and paint samples, half finished miniatures, treasured swaps and just plain old stuff. A big, battered table in the middle and comfortable chairs with weels to ride around it.
Picturing my future self is a very good way to get my inspiration going. If you want to try it, do go into detail! Don't stop at "oh just a room with stuff", but try to imagine the colors, the feels, the smells... It always makes me smile to imagine myself in such a happy place.
But back to my point..... What AM I going to do? Well, this saturday the art academy in my city is opening it's doors and I'm going to check it out! I want to do interior design!
There is an admission test however and I'm not sure what to expect. I also don't know what they expect from me if I do sign in. So I've got questions, but even more enthousiasm.
I'm not lost anymore... I know what I want and how to get it. Now it's just the doing it part that awaits me :)
By the way, I won third prize with the Spanish mouse circus (see my post of january 2nd)! How cool is that? The stall will be published in a Dutch dollhouse magazine and as soon as it comes out I'll scan the pages for you :) And I'll take better pictures, I think I owe you that. Or at least I owe myself that for the effort I put into it.
Next up... Dollhouses used in a different way! I first found this one and immediately thought of my little sis (who's 8). She would love this one! I do too actually, but don't tell my boyfriend, he'd hate it lol! It's even got a white picket fence, how cute! Better not show this to Alice though, she'll want to make one for Coral and I've already finished the little girl's bed.

Picture and sales info found here
Then I remembered this one I had. I made a similar one last summer in 1:12 scale for a swap.
Then I remembered this one, I love the idea! Don't know if I would be brave enough to use it for toiletpaper though! This one really looks a lot more 'housy' than the previous ones and I would be tempted to invent a little storyline for it. A dear old granny and her collection of teapots would fit here nicely... Oooh stop thinking!
If any of you have similar pictures or uses for dollhouses yourself, I'd love to see them! I thought maybe some old straightforward house could double as a shoe cabinet in my hallway one day :) I can already see my collection of flipflops filling the rooms!
Edit: I almost forgot! Welcome new followers! Thank you so much for visiting, it always cheers me up knowing that someone is reading what I write or at least peeking at the pictures I post lol!
Wow- good for you on chasing your dreams and realizing something else wasn't for you! I remember your mouse circus- I knew you would win- it was so awesome! Good luck on your admission test!!!!
ReplyDeleteLirael....6 years ago I was in a very similar position to you. I had a great career, a lovely house, a car and lots of friends. I wasn't dreadfully unhappy but I was bored, bored, bored. The thought of continuing on that same path forever terrified me.
ReplyDeleteSo...I sold everything I owned, house car, everything, quit my job and moved to the USA.
It was the best thing I ever did with my life.
I am not suggesting you do anything so drastic but sometimes we really do need to evaluate what we are doing and make that change...no matter how crazy it might seem to others.
Go with your heart and I wish you all the luck and success in the world.
Jayne xxx
Thank you both for your kind words, they truly warm my heart!
ReplyDelete